Yesterday I had a craving for a walnut chocolate brownie, but could I find a gluten free, diary free recipe I liked, with no processed sugar? So I created my own and added in some cinnamon for that extra warming feeling. Soaking the dates overnight makes it easier to combine with the liquid ingredients, however dates that are not soaked adds a nice crunchy texture along with the walnuts.
60g ground almonds
28g coconut flour
100g coconut oil (melted)
10 dates (soaked 4 hours or overnight)
3 eggs beaten
80g chopped walnuts
1 tbsp nut butter (almond)
50ml almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2tsp baking soda
1 1/2 bicarbonate soda
1 tsp cinnamon
30g dark chocolate chips
Add 1/2 -1 tbsp organic honey if mixture needs a bit more sweetness, so taste before going into the oven - just like when you were a child.
1. Preheat oven to 190 C / 375 F / 170 C fan
2. Grease and line a 8x8" (20x20cm) square tin
2. In a bowl mix all the dried ingredients - almonds, flour, walnuts, cacao, baking soda, bicarbonate soda, cinnamon, cacao nibs
3. Melt the coconut oil.
4. In a food processor mix together the milk, eggs, dates, coconut oil, nut butter, vanilla extract.
5. Once the wet ingredients are well combined, add them to the dry ingredients.
6. Stir until all ingredients combined to form a soft mixture.
7. Pour into the prepared tine and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
8. Turn out onto a cooling rack, peel off paper. Once cooled, cut into equal size bars.
Enjoy with your favourite hot drink - herbal tea for me.